Is there an easy way to test audio/MIDI?

C
Cailen posted Feb 27 '16, 15:36:

Hello, I seem to have successfully installed the OS, the files show up on the USB
0 Saw 1 GrandPiano etc

I am not getting sound with the internal or an external DAC but I also don't know if MIDI is working. Is there a way to test the audio with a midi file or something like that? Is there a way to check the status of my Midi controller?

Stuff I'm using:
M-Audio Radium 49 USB MIDI Keyboard (maybe not compatible via usb?)
Sewell Soundbox (maybe not compatible?)
Kingston USB2 4GB thumbdrive

C
Cailen posted Feb 28 '16, 00:08:

I managed to create a MIDI IN circuit to connect a MIDI cable to the system with the 6n137 chip (using an alternative schematic) and now I am getting some sound. Using the external USB DAC I get a cleaner sound but the reaction time is slow and sometimes I have to hit a note 2 or 3 times before it plays. I also experienced a lot of unexpected ear melting noise and glitches when I first turned everything on.

R
roderickm posted Mar 12 '17, 21:26:

Short answer:
apt-get install midisport-firmware

I had the same problem using an old (pre-M-Audio) Midiman Radium 61 controller. It was shown in the output of lsusb, but SamplerBox wasn't seeing it as a MIDI port. I confirmed this by opening python's interactive shell and pasting in the relevant portion of samplerbox.py (with a few simple mods) that detects the MIDI ports:

import time
import rtmidi_python as rtmidi
midi_in = [rtmidi.MidiIn()]
previous = []
while True:
for port in midi_in[0].ports:
print 'Found port: ' + port
if port not in previous and 'Midi Through' not in port:
midi_in.append(rtmidi.MidiIn())
midi_in[-1].open_port(port)
print 'Opened MIDI: ' + port
previous = midi_in[0].ports
time.sleep(2)

After determining that it wasn't appearing as a MIDI port, I searched a bit more and found that USB MIDI firmware is required for these and a few other controllers. Read more at http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net. Fortunately, you need not compile it from scratch, a package is provided. Just connect your Raspberry Pi to a network and run 'apt-get install midisport-firmware'.

Z
zjosken posted Feb 18 '22, 20:27:

Hi There,

I have the same brand keyboard (M-Audio Midiman Radium 61), so I think I also need the midisport firmware, but it seems isn't in the repository anymore. Is there another way to get it?

Z
zjosken posted Feb 18 '22, 20:29:

Hi There,

I have the same brand keyboard (M-Audio Midiman Radium 61), so I think I also need the midisport firmware, but it seems isn't in the repository anymore. Is there another way to get it?

(not published)
  I want to post as guest